This five-day course provides students with expert knowledge of cider and perry principles and practices. The curriculum is taught by WSU fermentation specialist, Bri Ewing, and includes information regarding cider culture, production, science, and business. Students of this course will participate in hands-on sensory demonstrations, laboratory exercises, and blending trials. The course is located at WSU Mount Vernon NWREC.
The course involves hands-on practical lab work, lectures, workshops, and cider tastings that include:
– A detailed step-by-step guide to cider and perry production
– An understanding of the chemistry and microbiology behind cider and perry
– Practical training in the key skills of cider production and methods of laboratory analysis
– Introduction to sensory analysis of cider and perry
– Experienced guest lecturers
For an additional $300, students may choose to register for the CINA Foundation Certificate in Cider & Perry Production. Registration for the certification is separate from the Cider and Perry Production workshop.The exam will be given the morning of Friday June 8th.