Skip to main content
Skip to navigation
- Regional variation in juice quality characteristics of four cider apple (Malus × domestica Borkh.) cultivars in northwest and central Washington. (PDF), Alexander, T.R., J. King, A. Zimmerman, and C.A. Miles. 2016. HortScience 51(12):1-5.
- Yield, fruit damage, yield loss and juice quality characteristics of machine and hand harvested ‘Brown Snout’ specialty cider apple stored at ambient conditions in northwest Washington (PDF), T. Alexander, J. King, E. Scheenstra, and C.A. Miles. 2016. HortTechnology 26(5):614-619.
- Yield, labor, and fruit and juice quality characteristics of machine and hand-harvested ‘Brown Snout’ specialty cider apple (PDF), Carol A. Miles and Jaqueline King. 2014. HortTechnology 24(5):519-526.
- Anthracnose Canker Integrated Management Plan for Home Gardeners (PDF, FS297E), Information to manage anthracnose canker in the home garden or orchard in western Washington, where this disease can severely limit yield and in some cases leads to tree death.
- Anthracnose Canker Management for Commercial Apple Orchards in Western Washington (PDF, FS295E), Information for managing anthracnose canker, a major disease limiting apple production in western Washington, western British Columbia, and the Columbia Gorge.
- Hard Cider Production and Orchard Management in the Pacific Northwest (PNW 621) (11/2010), New basic manual for hard cider making, based on variety evaluations and cider trials at WSU Mount Vernon NWREC.
- 2013 Cost Estimation of Establishing a Cider Apple Orchard in Western Washington (PDF), Extension Fact Sheet FS141E (09/2014). The study results presented in this WSU fact sheet can serve as a general guide for evaluating the feasibility of establishing and producing cider apples in western Washington as of 2013. In addition to the publication there is an Excel worksheet available: Download Excel Worksheet (zip file – 56kb)
- 2015 Cost Estimates of Establishing and Producing Specialty Cider Apples in Central Washington, Extension Fact Sheet TB35E (11/2016). If you’re thinking of producing cider apples in central Washington, this publication will enable you to estimate costs of equipment, materials, supplies, and labor and also provides ranges of price and yield. This publication also helps you evaluate the feasibility and profitability of producing specialty cider apples in the region. An Excel spreadsheet version of this enterprise budget is available at the WSU School of Economic Sciences Extension website.
- Feasibility of Different Harvest Methods for Cider Apples: Case Study for Western Washington (PDF), WSU Extension publication TB32. The results presented in this publication serve as a general guide for evaluating the economic feasibility of hand and mechanical harvest methods for cider apples grown in western Washington as of 2015.
Appendix A. Hand Harvested Cider Apples excel – interactive spreadsheet
Appendix B. Mechanically Harvested Cider Apples excel – interactive spreadsheet
- Evaluation of Varietal Ciders Produced at WSU Mount Vernon NWREC (PDF), A. Zimmerman, J. King, E. Scheenstra, and C. Miles (2016)
- Juice Analysis of Varietal Ciders in Western Washington (PDF), C. Miles, E. Scheenstra, A. Zimmerman, T. Alexander, and J. King. WSU Mount Vernon NWREC. (2016)
- Tree Growth Habit and Tree Characteristics at WSU Mount Vernon NWREC, 2002-2015 (PDF), Carol Miles, Jacky King and Ed Scheenstra (2016)
- Commonly Grown Cider Apple Cultivars In the U.S. (PDF) Twenty of the most common cider apple cultivars planted in cider orchards in different regions of the U.S. are listed. Information was collected from growers and researchers at 12 locations throughout the U.S.
- Yield and Labor Time for Mechanical and Hand Harvested Cider Apples (PDF), C. Miles, T. Alexander, and S. Galinato, Department of Horticulture, Washington State University Northwestern Washington Research and Extension Center, Mount Vernon, WA; IMPACT Center, School of Economic Sciences, Washington State University, Pullman, WA. Publication Date: September 2016
Cider Tree and Scionwood Suppliers