- This event has passed.
Cider & Perry Production – A Foundation
October 9, 2017, 8:30 am until October 13, 2017, 4:00 pm PDT$1550
This five-day course located in Washington’s Skagit Valley provides students with expert knowledge of cider and perry principles and practices. The curriculum includes information regarding cider culture, production, and business. Students of this course will participate in hands-on sensory demonstrations, laboratory exercises, and blending trials.
The course involves hands-on practical lab work, lectures, workshops, and cider tastings that include:
– A detailed step-by-step guide to cider and perry production
– An understanding of the chemistry and microbiology behind cider and perry
– Practical training in the key skills of cider production and methods of laboratory analysis
– Introduction to sensory analysis of cider and perry
– Experienced guest lecturers
For an additional $300, students may choose to register for the CINA Foundation Certificate in Cider & Perry Production. Registration for the certification is separate from the Cider and Perry Production workshop.The exam will be given the morning of Friday October 13th
– Passing a 90-minute exam that includes 20 multiple choice questions and 15 short-answer questions
– A portfolio of 6 organoleptic (sensory) tasting evaluations to demonstrate a broad knowledge of cider and perry styles and characteristics (this portfolio will be prepared throughout the course)
With passing the CINA Certification exam, this program qualifies for Certified Food Scientist (CFS) renewal contact hours (CH). CFS Certificants may claim a maximum of 26 CH for their participation in this program. For more information, please visit ift.org/certification or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration Fee: $1550 includes official manual, workshop notes, cider and perry tastings, laboratory instructions/supplies, lunch, coffee/tea. Registration is non-refundable after 12 hours of purchase. Cancellations may receive a credit for a course at a later date.
Note: Efforts will be made to send the course manual ahead of time. Registration less than 4 weeks in advance may instead result in receiving the manual on the first day of instruction.